Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Afghan Cuisine

Well it has come time to get to work. As I figured about a week to settle in then work work work. The past two days have been an almost 11 hour day followed by an almost 12 hour day. Though, I admit the days fly by. Today I looked up and it was 5:00. Really the only reason I looked up was that the sun was starting to set then soon it was time to go home.

I have gotten a few emails and comments from readers wanting more, more, more blogs. As I promised you all before I left my goal was 7 in the first 7 days then one to two a week from there out. It is good you are sitting on the edge of your seat but I have not forgotten. I am still here. I am still alive in Kabul.

Of course I will be taking a break for the Holidays and my trip home. I booked my tickets home today and although a month off without pay is not gonna be all too fun it will be great to tidy up the loose ends left in my departure. Signed, sealed, and delivered I am booked though!

A bit about Afghan food then. Some encouraged me to find Afghan restaurants before I left D.C. and some discouraged it saying that it might scare me off. Well I payed on the side of caution and did not try it. How is Afghan food? Well remember Afghanistan is Central Asia. One of the mainstays of Afghan cuisine is therefore, rice. The other mainstay of Afghans are Kabobs. Lamb Kabobs, Mashed Meat Kabobs,lots of Kabobs. They try to change it up and call the Chicken Kabobs "Roast Chicken" but it is still put on a long metal piece and roasted over an open fire like all the other Kabobs so they cannot fool me. I love grilled food and so it is all good to me. Cut it, stab it, grill it. Yummmmmmy. The rice, however, is different. It is not the typical white rice one would think of as Asian. The rice is called Palaw. Palaw is Basmati rice topped with raisins and cooked carrots. Basmati rice is Indian in origin. I love Wiki which says that Basmati is a long grain rice famous for its aroma and flavor. Basmati is Sanskrit for the fragrant one. Palaw is actually very tasty. I turned my nose up at first because if you cook raisins they cease to look like raisins and I had no idea what they were. When in Rome do as the Romans and I did. I actually like it. It does get old time and time again day after day but I occasionally substitute fries which are also available but the Palaw is better for me, I know. I wondered the other day, when I get to D.C. will I crave Kabobs and Palaw. Maybe we will see.