Saturday, May 23, 2009

Semester Winding Down

So the semester is winding down here. In fact, less than a week in the term. It is time to have some events commemorating a great school year. The first on tap was the Staff Appreciation BBQ. It can best be described by saying loads of food and lots of fun.

One thing I missed in Northern Virginia was being able to have good grill or even a smoker. Well such is not true here. I was able to go to the local market and have one built from scratch for a great price using some plans I downloaded off the Internet. Since most barrels here have petroleum products, and you do not want that in your food, the double barrel smoker is made from the ground up, including the barrels. I can say one thing though, I will never smoke food for 150 people again. 90 Kilos of meat (almost 200 lbs). WOW. However the smoker outperformed my general expectations and is still in great shape. The BBQ it produced...yummy. This thing is going to make for some awesome summer BBQs at the guest house! The first of these will be a traditional Memorial Day BBQ on Monday. But that is another Blog!!!