Thursday, October 29, 2009

All Is Well

Thanks to those that have contacted me in regard to the attack on the UN guesthouse yesterday.  Yes, all is well.  Things were a bit tense for a while yesterday morning but I was unaffected other than our transportation and movement in the city is relatively limited. 

The AP photo below that many of you have seen provides an excellent terms of reference (clickable to make it a little larger) .  If you look to the right of the background that is T.V. mountain that I have mentioned several times in my here.  There is a pass between it and the mountain on the left.  Both mountains have the ruins of the old Kabul city walls, known as Sher-e Darwaza which translates to Lion's Gate, the -e being equal to the english 's .  In fact the mountain on the left is often refered to as Sher-e Darwaza Mountain.  To get to where I live and work one must pass between these mountains and I live and work about 3-5 miles on the other side of Sher-e Darwaza Mountain.  Therefore we are actually a seperate part, a suburb if you will, of Kabul.  We actually sit outside what was Kabul originally.   Needless to say we could not hear nor see any of what happened yesterday. 

So all is o.k.  This, however, makes my plans to vacate for the runoff lockdown even stronger.