Sunday, October 25, 2009

Deported!

For those that have not heard, I was deported this week.  Yes, deported from Afghanistan!  Really it was more of a formality and I got a free trip to Dubai as a result but it was a major pain to do so suddenly.  You see, a number of us had visas that were either Tourist or Visitor by type and to renew we had to leave the country. Thus those were deported, including myself.   It was not a pleasent adventure as I had to represent the University and sit and chat with the folks at the Afghan Consulate, including the Consular General.  There I had to listen to all sorts of things including that they were concerned that our tuition was too high and we were neglecting the poor by charging such.  However, state run education is still in effect here for those that qualify.  It is only those that desire an American education that come to us.  All in all it was a political game.  I was shocked to see almost as many photos of Karzai's opponent as the President of the country himself.  

Dubai was expensive Dubai as always.   I got my share of American food but blew too much cash in the process.  It was a relaxing adventure, though in the end and I came home with some goodies for the house and the kitchen.  No, I could not bring myself to break down to get a good T.V.  Oh well next time, perhaps. 

While I was away I see Afghanistan is in the news big time.  A 6.2 earthquake and a runoff election looms near.  If you will check back at my "Lockdown" blog you will see what happened last time we had an election.  If that happens again, needless to say, I am outa here.  Dubai again?  Maybe!

A couple of weeks ago a friend picked me up a very neat patch at one of the local bazaars.  Of course, it is a knock off as is obvious to the Harley folks out there,   but all of you biker friends, Harley and otherwise,  nevertheless will agree that it is pretty neat! I wish there were such a place though.  Although, I am sure, the would get all my money.